Female patients suffering from hair loss should be examined by a dermatologist to rule out treatable medical conditions that can cause hair loss before deciding on hair transplantation.
In order to find out if they are suitable candidates for the hair transplant procedure, a microscopic hair evaluation should be made in women and the severity of hair loss should be diagnosed.
Hair loss in women is different from men. Women are equally prone to hair loss along the scalp. This fact also shows that the patient may lose the transplanted hair again at some point with the hair transplantation treatment.
Before deciding on the hair transplant procedure, your doctor needs to take into account the size of the active balding areas and estimate the number of permanent hairs that the patient can use during the hair restoration surgery process. Before the procedure ”Will the hair follicles to be removed provide sufficient coverage for the area to be planted? ”Question should be answered.
How are Candidates not Eligible for Hair Transplantation Treatment in Women?
Female patients who typically have scattered hair loss and do not have sufficient donor resources are not suitable candidates for hair transplantation.
How are Candidates Eligible for Hair Transplantation Treatment in Women?
- Female patients with male pattern hair loss are suitable candidates for hair transplantation treatment. As in men, the hair in the nape area called the donor region is strong and resistant to loss. Those with enough donor hair.
- It may cause the face to appear less feminine if the hairline is behind. For these patients, a more attractive appearance can be achieved by prioritizing the hairline with hair transplantation treatment.
- The appearance of hair loss due to scar and trauma can be camouflaged by the method of hair transplantation.
- Traction alopecia – Braiding, tight ponytail, squeeze and stiff hairpins, and especially in curling hair, it is called the retraction state, which is caused by pulling it back strongly to straighten the hair. It can be corrected by hair transplantation.
- A trichotillomania; Also known as hair breakout disease. This discomfort, which is accepted as a control disorder, is a person’s inability to resist eyebrows, eyelashes, beards, genital areas or the urge to tear his hair. This condition should be treated psychologically first. If the hair breakdown disease is completely cured, the patient can be evaluated for hair transplantation.
Determining the Expectation of Women Who Will Have Hair Transplantation from the Process?
Women have different expectations from men when it comes to hair restoration. The determination of realistic expectations for female patients is the most important stage of hair transplantation treatment. First of all, the cause of the current spill should be determined correctly.
The hairline regenerated as a result of hair transplantation treatment may not be as intense as the time when hair loss does not start in female patients. For some female patients, multiple hair transplants may be needed to increase hair density and meet their expectations.
What are the treatment options for genetic hair loss in women?
- Medications, also known as Minoxidil to slow hair loss, can be used to reduce hair loss.
- Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT) for hair loss; It can be used in patients who have not seen progress in combating hair loss using other treatments. Laser hair loss treatment can be considered as an additional treatment method in patients who are not suitable candidates for hair transplantation and in patients who have received hair transplantation treatment. LLLT is a noninvasive procedure that stimulates hair growth by exposing the hair follicles to low-level light in the early stages of hair loss. In general, patients with miniaturization of active hair loss less than 20% of their hair are eligible candidates for laser hair restoration.
- SMP – Scalp Mirco-Pigmentation (SMP); It is a surgical treatment method that places the pigment on the dermal layer of the scalp to increase the appearance of the hair follicles. SMP darkens the thinning areas of the scalp and helps to create hair appearance by minimizing the contrast between hair color and skin tone.
- Cosmetic Methods; Cosmetics such as Toppik and DerMatch can temporarily reduce the color contrast between hair and scalp and reduce the appearance of hair loss.